As someone that runs social media marketing efforts for a number of businesses across a variety of platforms, I always like finding ways of making the administrative side a bit easier.
One particular bugbear of mine has been with Instagram. As a rule, Instagram is quite ‘locked down’ compared to Facebook, Twitter, and suchlike – for example, there’s little-to-no API access, meaning scheduling posts can be difficult.
Another thing I’ve found a bit of pain was that, although you can view your Instagram feed on desktop (although Instagram Stories was only a recent addition to this), actually posting images from non-mobile devices is a PITA.
I’ve actually dabbled with bits of software that mimic a mobile environment before – Gramblr being one that got used for all of five minutes. But it turns out there’s a much better, cheaper, and simpler way around it!
Now, there’s not an ‘official’ Instagram desktop app, unfortunately, but it is still possible to post to Instagram from your PC or Mac desktop. Here are some options to try.
How to post to Instagram from Google Chrome
- Step one – download Google Chrome!
- Step two – once you’ve downloaded and installed Google Chrome, open it, go to Instagram, and log in to your account.
- Step three – open Chrome Developer Tools (Ctrl+Shift+J, or Cmd+Option+J on Mac).
- Step four – once that’s done, press Ctrl+Shift+M to go to Mobile View.At this stage, you should see something like in the image below. Should you wish, you can even choose which mobile device to replicate the viewport of (we’ve gone for the iPhone X).
- Step five – post your image! The ‘add image’ + icon is right there at the bottom of the screen, just as it is on your phone or tablet. Clicking upon it will open up your PC or Mac file manager, where you can navigate to your chosen image. Choose filters or other editing features like you would normally, then click “Next” in the top right of your screen. You can then add captions and tag people, and then click “Share” in the top right of your screen.
- Step six – enjoy the time you’ve saved!
Option 2: Post to Instagram from Safari
- Step one – Like with Chrome, first, navigate to Instagram and log into your account. Then, select “Safari” and then “Preferences” in your menu bar. Find the “Advanced Features” section and then check the box that reads “Show develop menu in menu bar”.
- Step two – Click on “Develop” in your menu bar and then scroll to “User Agent”. Here, you can choose which mobile device you’d like.
- Step three – Refresh the page and you’ll be in the mobile version of Instagram.
- Then, follow step five from the Chrome section above!
Option 3: For posting videos
Now, if you want to post a video to your Instagram, the above steps won’t work. You’ll need to use a social media scheduler that posts to Instagram. There are many available, so do your research and, if possible, look at a demo or free trial to make sure it’s easy to use.
Of course, if you’re regularly posting to social media, then a scheduler may be your best bet for saving time and making your social media efforts more efficient.
Alternatively, consider outsourcing your social media work to an agency that can ensure your posts are always on-brand, on-message, and on-time – desktop or not.
Tomango can help your business’ social media
Get in touch with the team today if you’re considering using Instagram, or other social media, for your business,